If your challenge is meeting air pollution standards at plants that do not have access to a gas pipeline, then you are deciding between expensive scrubbers and an extremely expensive pipeline extension.
We all know that pipelines cost many millions of dollars and take years of planning, permitting, land purchasing, and the probability of a lot of bad PR. In today’s fast moving economic environment, smart planners do not feel comfortable making decisions that take 20+ years to pay off. The scrubber option may meet today's requirements but what about 5 years from now?
Meanwhile the compliance deadlines are looming.
And, what is the expected life of the plant in question? If there is a possibility that you might have to make the very difficult decision to close a plant in a few years, you may not want to make huge capital expenses now.
Even if you are not on a pipeline, you can now consider converting to CNG as your primary fuel source. If the company's plant is now burning fuel oils, then the conversion to CNG as the primary fuel delivered by a “virtual pipeline” will:
- Generate lower emissions of CO2, NOX, SO2 and particulates
- Require substantially less capital than for a pipeline extension or expansion
- Demand dramatically reduced capital outlay than that required for adding scrubber systems and the maintenance required by them
- Involve a minimal capital outlay for the burner conversion, unless you badly need to update your entire system
- Offer a lower “all in cost” than LNG
- Help you meet your corporate environmental goals on time and under budget
If the company's plant is now burning coal, then the conversion to trucked CNG will:
- Lower particulates, CO2, NOX, and SO2 emissions immediately
- Help bring the plant into compliance with MACT and other regulations and meet your corporate environmental goals quickly
- Eliminate the need for an expensive scrubber. Scrubbing technology may take care of today’s needs, but it is probably NOT a long term solution. And, scrubbers require a lot of maintenance.
- Curb the need to pay for a gas pipeline extension or expansion
The International Paper mill in Ticonderoga, NY decided not to pay for a pipeline extension and to convert to trucked CNG. You can do the same. You too, can enjoy the benefits of natural gas in 6 to 12 months with a relatively small capital infusion.
How Do We Work Together?
NG Advantage Responsibilities
- Help with permitting
- Provide site engineering
- Provide compressor station, offloading station, and CNG trailers
- Manage installation and closely monitor the new customer's plant during the first 72 hours by onsite NG Advantage personnel
- Maintain equipment at no charge
- Haul trailers of CNG from compressor station to customer site based upon customer demand
- Train the customer's staff and local first responders on the properties of CNG and use of NG Advantage's equipment
- Deliver 24/7/365 in a timely and safe manner
- Help plant staff obtain the commodity (e.g., hedging, buying daily, locking in, etc.)
- Set customer's operations team up with their individualized Dashboard
- Train staff on use of Customer Dashboard that gives their staff the ability to access real-time and historical data on the natural gas usage at their site
- Obtain permitting
- Convert burner and boiler system to dual-fuel
- Allocate space in yard for NG Advantage's offloading station
- Provide turning and parking space for tractor trailers
- Bring electricity, Internet, and gas piping to offloading station